Wednesday 26 June 2013

What's Your Game?

Last time I ranted about people who force their opinions onto others, especially those who have one particular aspect of the Hobby that they focus on to the exclusion of all others. I focused on the dangers of such a volatile attitude, and the damage that it could do to our Hobby. Perhaps a little doom and gloom, but I felt it needed to be said.



I had some great reactions to the blog, mostly from people who had encountered such wonderful people in their time - a few great stories to boot. Some of the other comments I had were from people who almost felt apologetic for only liking one part of the Hobby; some seemed genuinely concerned about this.

Please, allow me to clarify: There is nothing at all wrong with having a singular part of the Hobby that you enjoy. This is not only acceptable, but perfectly normal. Some people don't like traditional fantasy, some aren't fussed by futuristic. Some people live for the game, others were born to paint. Sometimes these skills and tastes meet and fuse, sometimes they don't. Both are fine.

Today, in response, I wanted to have a look at what makes the Hobby special for each of us; so I went onto Twitter and asked my followers what made the Hobby special for them. Here's some of the responses I had!

































To quote Kevin Flynn in 'Tron: Legacy', that's some serious biodigital jazz, man! It's amazing that a single Hobby means so many different things to so many different people. This is a sample of just 31 people out of the millions, globally to whom this Hobby means so much.

I'm really surprised at the response I had to asking this question, how people took to it. That's the thing with our Hobby. It's social and cries out to be shared, so we do at every opportunity. We show off our models, our strategies, our creations, our stories.

After the doom and gloom of the last post, I wanted this one to be much more positive. This is not just my Hobby, or just your Hobby, this is our Hobby, so a HUGE thank you to everyone who contributed to this blog post! Here's wishing you all the best as you continue in the Hobby, guys; I'm looking forward to seeing the models you're working on, hearing about your games, and getting to share that back with you.

As it so happens, if you're looking for some Hobby love on Twitter, the folks above are amongst the best place to start, with some friendly, talented and creative individuals!

Didn't make it onto the list? Tell me via Twitter (@BKellyCS) or in the comments below, WHAT MAKES YOUR HOBBY SPECIAL?

1 comment: